Narrative description of the supervised Project:
The EBRD provided a sovereign guaranteed loan of €5 million to part-finance the rehabilitation and expansion of the water supply network in Capljina Municipality, to cover Dubrave Plateau and Trebizat area. The rest of the funds were provided from EU IPA funds. The project has connected 1,800 new households to the water supply system. The objectives are to support the growth of the municipal utility company through the connection of new consumers and to upgrade the quality and reliability of the water supply system, thus improving the living standard of the population in Capljina Municipality.
The PIU at the Municipality selected the WPE-Aspiro consortium to support them in overall project implementation, notably procurement of the works, goods, and construction supervision services.
Description of actual services provided by the staff within the assignment:
- We set up the Project Implementation Unit (PIU) including all relevant municipal departments’ representatives and coordinated their work and needed activities for the initial 12 months, then the PIU continued independently
- We advised the PIU in defining the procurement strategy, settling on 6 tenders with 11 lots in total
- We prepared and helped execute 2 works tenders (red FIDIC) and 1 consultancy tender (construction supervision); over 5 submitted bids for each one and no complaints
- We supported the PIU in reporting toward the EBRD, satisfying the loan conditions-precedent and loan covenants
- We continue to support the PIU in completing the remaining 3 tenders within the project
- We support the PIU in reporting and clearing loan covenants on quarterly basis
“We were working with Aspiro to prepare and implement the water supply system extension in the area of Capljina in southern Herzegovina. Aspiro colleagues helped us to understand how to organize the project team and report on project progress toward the involved parties. Aspiro’s understanding of EBRD’s procurement procedures helped us to have smooth tenders and complete them successfully. They were always with us when we needed them, despite geographical distance. With the transfer of know-how from Aspiro, we were able to continue with the tenders and reports independently. We made friendly relationship with Aspiro and appreciate also the study tour, which they organized for us to the Czech Republic, which financed Aspiro’s support. We hope to continue working with Aspiro on other investment projects for the good of Capljina‘s citizens.“
Dr Smiljan Vidic, Mayor,
City of Capljina