Narrative description of the supervised Project:
The EBRD provided a loan to finance a priority investment programme in the water services sector in the Municipality of Bodrum. The objective of the project was to reduce water losses expand the water network connections and improve wastewater treatment.
The project aimed also help the Municipality to improve the operations of the municipal water department by separating it from the general operations of the Municipality through the creation of a separate water corporation to increase transparency and autonomy and making the new municipal water corporation operate in an autonomous commercial basis.
Description of actual services provided by the staff within the assignment:
- We prepared a Corporate development programme for BOSKİ, water utility department of the Bodrum municipality, planning actions and steps to make the unit operate more effectively and eventually separate from the municipality
- We helped implement the planned actions in the FOPIP, introduce IT infrastructure and improved customer management processes leading to revenue increase by 50% over 2011-2013
- We prepared a PPP feasibility study for selected parts of water/wastewater infrastructure in the Bodrum peninsula area, focusing on service outsourcing
- We have advised in implementing the Environmental and social action plan to satisfy EBRD’s 2008 Environmental and Social Policy and allow for smooth loan disbursements
- We prepared a public service agreement to be signed between the Metropolitan Municipality of Muğla and MUSKİ, the newly created water utility company into which BOSKİ integrated after the 2014 municipal elections
- Following the municipality’s request, Aspiro’s presence in Bodrum has been extended to cover ongoing implementation and reporting support in parallel to the implementation of investment component of the project
- We have provided support in preparation of quarterly progress reports and clearance of loan covenants including ongoing implementation of Environmental and Social Action Plan
- We closed this contract as the EBRD fully disbursed Tranche 1 of the loan for construction works, all the loan covenants having been either met and cleared or waived based on our reports
“This was our team’s first experience with Aspiro and we were uncertain what to expect. However, Aspiro pleasantly surprised us with detailed understanding of municipal water/wastewater sector and ability to quickly adapt and transfer their know-how from Central Europe to Turkey. They managed to implement major improvements in how the municipal water utility was being run, and despite difficult political situation they stuck to the objectives and helped us through all the loan covenants and reports to allow full disbursement of the approved loan and successful construction of the infrastructure. In the projects that followed, they have been consistent in showing similar approach and efficiency of their work.”
Paul Covenden, Senior Banker,
Municipal & Environmental Infrastructure, EBRD